Sunday, February 14, 2016

Love Ya!

In honor of Valentine's day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on the verbal/written expressions of love. Ever since my nephew died, I vowed to let people know that I loved them (only if I actually do, because love is not something that I will lie about). One of my favorite quotes says, "Don't tell me you love me unless you mean it, because I might do something crazy, like believe it." There are very few things that are as hurtful and soul-ripping as having some express their love to you, only to later discover that they actually weren't sure of what they were saying or having not meant it.

Now, if you think that this post only applies to romantic relationships, you're wrong. This post pertains to all types of relationships; family, friends, romance, and whatever else you can think of. As I have shown my soul to the people around me, I have learned that there are different stages, or levels, of love. They can be determined by an 'I love you', a 'love you', and a 'love ya'. Although all are good when truthfully said, from my experience, they come across as having different depths of meaning.

The 'Love Ya'
This is a casual term of endearment. It is the 'I care about you', but not enough to use more syllables to express my feelings kind of love. It can also be interpreted as the last-minute-thought expression of love; a quick add-on to a statement. It is the level 1 in love stages. Not deeply felt in the soul at the moment, but still has some feeling (maybe it is skin deep?)

The 'Love You'
This is a more heart-felt statement. Instead of the 'ya', they are emphasizing that they do, in fact, love YOU as a person, not just that they note your existence with a 'ya'. The 'love you' is a more a deeply felt love, because they are acknowledging that it is specifically you that they love. They are acknowledging that you are a human being with a qualities that can appreciate. It is a more personalized expression, without the commitment of adding themselves into the situation with the 'I'.

The 'I Love You'
This is the big one. This is the heart and soul of love.The one that takes the relationship, whether it is platonic or romantic, to the next level, and the one that is least understood by a most people, in my opinion. The one that everyone seems to be afraid to say to someone else. Adding themselves into the expression of love means that they actually need to feel something for the other person and be vulnerable enough to say it out loud, running the risk of not having the other person feel the same way.  This is the 'I care about you, and I am willing to prove that I do, in fact, love you'. It is putting you and that other person in the same sentence. It is creating a promise and commitment to another human being that you see yourself with them in any form of a relationship. There is something about adding one simple letter to an expression that adds so much more depth and feeling to it. Emphasizing that 'I' love 'YOU'. I (who I am) loves YOU, just as you are.

Now that I have these defined as vaguely as possible, this doesn't mean that if someone says 'love ya', they don't actually love you in an 'I love you' sort of way, because this is obviously just my opinion (which isn't worth much). I shout 'love ya' to lots of people as we part ways, when I do love them at an 'I love you' level, but I use it as a quick add-on to a statement.

Because I have now made you self-conscious and have made you think twice on how to express your level of love to your friends/family/significant other for the rest of your live, I wish you the Happiest of Valentine's Days.

Love ya!!! (mostly because I don't actually know who is reading this right now...maybe we can take it to the next love level on another post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment